History of Chemistry at the University of Graz

Chemistry at the University of Graz started in 1850 at the Old University, then the chemistry institute at the Karl-Franzens-University was built in 1878. In 1963 the Institute of Biochemistry was founded as an additional institute, and in 1969 Organic and Physical Chemistry moved to the new building at Heinrichstrasse. In the year 2000 five of the six chemistry institutes joined together and founded a large "institute of chemistry".
The outline of history follows the three main sites, the specialized institutes which were splitted from the chemistry institute, and lists chairmen and chemists (see INDEX) with venia legendi together with their most important research fields.

The chemistry institute (1850-1878) The Chemistry Institute at the Old University site (Place: Bürgergasse 2, the former College of Jesuits)
The chemistry institute (1878-1945) The chemistry institute in the new chemistry building at the Karl-Franzens University site (Place: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1)
(1923-1974)
(1974-1999)
(1978-1999)
Institute of physical and theoretical chemistry
Institute of physical chemistry
Institute of theoretical chemistry
Splitting of the chemistry institute: Foundation of the institute of physical and theoretical chemistry, then further splitting into institutes of physical chemistry (Place: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1 and later Heinrichstrasse 28) and institute of theoretical chemistry (Mozartgasse 14 and later Strassoldogasse 10)
(1943-1982)
(1982-1999)
(1982-1999)
Institute of inorganic and analytical chemistry
Institute of inorganic chemistry
Institute of analytical chemistry
Splitting of the chemistry institute: foundation of the institute of inorganic and analytical chemistry; then further splitting into institutes of inorganic and institute of analytical chemistry (Place: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1
(1941-1969)
(1969-1999)
(1969-1976)
Institute of organic and pharmaceutical chemistry
Institute of organic chemistry
Institute of pharmaceutical chemistry
Splitting of the chemistry institute: Foundation of the institute of organic chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry (Place: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1); then further splitting into institutes of organic chemistry (Place: Heinrichstrasse 28) and institute of pharmaceutical chemistry (Place: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1)
(1963-1999)
(2000-2004)
Institute of biochemistry
Institute of biochemistry, microbiology and molecular biology
Foundation of the institute of biochemistry, which was combined since 2000 with the institute of microbiology to the institute of molecular biology, biochemistry and microbiology (Places: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1, Heinrichstrasse 31 and Schubertstrasse 3). In 2004 it was renamed to "Institute of Biosciences"
since 2000, ongoing Institute of Chemistry (IfC) Foundation of a joint Institute of Chemistry ("IfC") from five chemistry institutes: Analytical, inorganic, organic, physical and theoretical chemistry (Places: Universitätsplatz 1 = Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1, Heinrichstrasse 28 and for some years Strassoldogasse 10)