Head of the institute in this era was
(born 1877 in Vienna, +1957 in Graz).
He was student of Vortmann and Wegscheider (Vienna) and got there his doctoral degree in 1903.
In 1905 he got his venia (inorganic and analytical
chemistry) and 1912 (physical chemistry) at the university of technology of Vienna.
His main research interest was inorganic and physical
chemistry. He was one of the last chemists who have represented the whole chemistry both
in teaching and research.
After the end of the first world war, the number of students increased enormously because of
participants of thefirst world war who began
now their study, and on the other hand many women started also to study chemistry. So there were
about 200 students for 120 lab places.
In the first years after the first world war, the economic situation of the chemistry institute was very bad
equipment and all things for a regular education were missing. In this time, Skrabal made great
efforts to overcome these difficulties. However, in later years Skrabal did not take care
about things in need of repair.
So in this era the chemistry institute became a rather old fashioned
building, e.g. the laboratory equipment was not improved and until 1943 no electric light
was installed in the laboratories.
In this era also the trend of specialization succeeded: in 1923 the
institute of physical and theoretical chemistry
was separated from the chemistry institute
From 1941-1943 the
institute of pharmaceutical chemistry
was separated (head:
In 1943 Skrabal retired and the chemistry
institute was splitted again and in 1945
the institute of organic chemistry
was combined with pharmaceutical chemistry and finally separated from the
institute of inorganic and analytical chemistry.
Organic and pharmaceutical chemistry was done in Skrabal's era in the first years by
(born 1885 in Frankenmarkt, Upper Austria, +1963 in Vienna), who got his doctoral degree in
1907 and his venia in 1914 (inorganic and organic chemistry) in Vienna. He was
professor of organic and pharmaceutical chemistry in Graz from 1919-1923.
Faltis was student of Wegscheider and got his venia in 1914 in Vienna. His
research area was in alkaloid chemistry.
Then Ernst PHILIPPI
(born 1888 in Vienna, +1969 in Vienna) followed.
He was student of Skraup and got his doctoral degree in 1910 and his venia in 1917 in Vienna.
Philippi was professor of organic and pharmaceutical chemistry in Graz
from 1924-1926, and because of his activity, the pharmaceutical labs got more place and
better equipment. Philippi´s research area was hemocyanins and protoporphyrins.
After these 2 short periods organic and pharmaceutical chemistry was represented since 1927 by
Alois ZINKE, the
later head of organic and pharmaceutical chemistry .
Many other chemists got in this era the venia legendi, those related to physical chemistry
are listed at the
physical chemistry pages.
Those related to analytical, inorganic, organic and pharmaceutical chemistry
are listed below:
Alexander ROLLETT (born 1887 in Graz, +1980 in Graz)
got his doctoral degree in 1920 and his venia in 1929 in organic
chemistry (natural resins and azo dyes), but later he worked in inorganic chemistry
and in the construction of chemical apparatus). Since 1924 Rollett was responsible for the
administration of the chemistry institute.
(born 1982 in St. Gallen/Styria, +1976 in Graz) got his doctoral degree as student of
Skrabal in 1922 and the venia in 1927 for
inorganic, physical and analytical chemistry. His research work dealt mainly with complex
chemistry and electrolytic investigations of complex salts. Later he worked at the organic
and pharmaceutical institute.
(born 1890 in Wels, +1967 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1913 as student of Scholl and Seer.
In 1927 he got his venia legendi for organic chemistry. In the first years he
worked in cooperation with Scholl on dyes, later his research field were
natural products and then phenol-aldehyde resins.
Konrad FUNKE (born 1896 in Mattsee, +1975 in Linz) got his doctoral degree
in 1924 in Vienna. Later he moved to the university of technology of Graz, and then to the university
of Graz. Here he
got the venia legendi for pharmaceutical chemistry in 1932 as coworker of Zinke.
His research fields were polyfused aromatic compounds. Later
he moved to the industry (Chemie Linz).
Alfred PONGRATZ (born 1897 in Graz, +1976 in Graz) got his
doctoral degree in 1925 at the university of technology in Graz. First he followed Zinke
to the university of Graz and
got in 1931 the venia legendi for organic chemistry; his research field were fused
aromatic systems such as perylene.
1940 he moved to the Kaiser-Wilhelm-institute in Berlin.
(born 1893 in Rann/South Styria, + 1979 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1915 as student of Skrabal.
He obtained his venia legendi in
1929 for the history of pharmacy. His research interest was in the field of
(born 1888 in Mödling/Vienna, + 1940 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1910 as
student of Witt in at the university of technology in Berlin. He obtained in 1923 the venia legendi
for organic chemistry and was also coworker of BASF, his research dealt with organic dyes.
It was planned during the nazi regime (similar as 1880 and 1920) to combine the
chemistry institutes of the Karl-Franzens university
and the university of technology to one large "chemistry institute".
As first step it was planned to use a similar course of study at both
universities. But nothing of these ideas was performed because of the end of second world war.