|The Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry was placed until 1972 at Universitätsplatz 1 (= Halbärthgasse 5 = Schubertstrasse 1); from 1977-1982 a new block of this building at Schubertstrasse 1 was housing the institute.
Photos of the old institute building at Schuberstrasse 1 (1943-1977) and from the new block (since 1977)
||Chairmen, coworkers and events
||Portraits, photos and links
In 1943, the institute of inorganic chemistry was separated from
the chemistry institute, and
(born 1898 in Neubrandenburg, + 1977 in Berlin), was appointed as head of this new institute.
Thilo had studied chemistry in Berlin and got his doctoral degree in 1925 as student of Paneth.
Then he got his venia in 1932 in Berlin.
His research in dealt with inorganic high polymer compounds such as
phosphates and silicates. In 1945, Thilo had to leave Graz and moved to Berlin-Aldersdorf,
where he stayed until his retirement.
Although Thilo´s era was very short, it was due to his appointment, that the most necessary
repair works and adaptions of the old fashioned chemistry building (e.g. electric light
in the students´labs, new laboratories, a stock of chemicals) had been started. Due to his efforts
it was possible to start immediately after the second world war with chemical education and research.
The analytical branch was situated in these 2 years at the university of technology, because in this
time again a combination of both chemistry institutes of Graz was planned.
From 1945-46, Alois MUSIL
(born 1899 in Iglau/Mähren, +1966 in Graz) was temporary head of the institute.
He was student of Fresenius, Mark and Ebert; he got his venia for physical chemistry at the
university of Graz in 1946. Since 1947, he
was then professor of inorganic chemistry and head of this institute. His research dealt
with theoretical aspects of binary systems and later with the theory of the activity of
In 1950, Musil had a severe car accident with a head violation which lowered his efficiency in work.
During his hospital stay, Marius Rebek gave the main lecture in inorganic and analytical
Musil was famous with his experimental lecture (his socalled "Tschimbumm-Vorlesung".
In this era, the following chemists got the venia legendi:
(born 1915 in Cilli) got his venia for analytical chemistry
and microchemistry in 1954. Later he left Graz and moved to Cairo, and later to the USA
(born 1919 in Graz, +1981 in Graz), later
head of this institute,
got his venia in 1956 for inorganic and analytical chemistry.
(born 1925 in Berndorf/N.Ö), later head of the
analytical chemistry, got his venia in 1958 for analytical chemistry.
Photos from Musil´s "Tschimbumm lecture"
After Musils retirement,
(born 1919 in Graz, +1981 in Graz), was temporary
head of this institute. His research dealt with the preparation and structure elucidation
of chelate complexes of transition metals.
It took a rather long time to get a new
candidate for an ordinary professor of inorganic and analytical chemistry because the
chemistry building was housing at this time 5
institutes which caused place problems, and furthermore, the lab equipment was rather old fashioned.
However, after the institutes of organic and physical chemistry had moved to Heinrichstrasse 28 in 1969,
it was started to renovate and expand "Pebal´s" old chemistry building.
Analytical labs in 1969
In 1970, Edgar NACHBAUR
(born 1932 in Innsbruck), was appointed as professor of
inorganic chemistry. He studied chemistry in Innsbruck and got his venia in 1966 there.
His research dealt with sulfur-
nitrogen compounds, carbonic acid derivatives and heterocycles such as triazines. Because of
conflicts with the analytical chemists of the institute, later the institute was splitted into an
inorganic and analytical part. Nachbaur was then again head of
the institute of inorganic chemistry.
After the institutes of organic and physical chemistry had left the old chemistry building,
the old building was renowned and in addition, at the Schubertstrasse side
a new building was set up.
This new building was opened in 1977, and in 1978 the old chemistry
building was fully renovated.
Photo from rebuilding and the new building at Schuberstrasse.
After the implementation of the new university organization law (UOG75),
data see above)
was elected again as head of this institute. In this time, the separation of analytical and
inorganic chemistry was one of the most important themes.
In this era,
(born 1929 in Graz, +2001 in Graz), who got his doctoral degree in 1957 as student of Musil, obtained in 1979 the
venia legendi for analytical chemistry. His research
dealt with purin chemistry, analytical reagents, chemical flotation, water- and environmental
chemistry. Besides this, Raber´s name is known to all future chemistry students and
visitors of lab fetes because of his famous drink
Work groups in this era.
In 1981, Gagliardi suffered a sudden death, and until the
actually separation of the institute (1982),
Reinhold PIETSCH was temporary head of the institute.