Organic Chemistry (1969 - 1999)

since 2000: part of the Institute of Chemistry


The institute building was placed at Heinrichstrasse 28

The new chemistry building at Heinrichstrasse 28 is housing Organic and Physical Chemistry and two lecture rooms. In the airview both chemistry buildings are visible, which form the left and the right border of the university campus.


Time Chairmen, coworkers and events Portraits, photos and links
1969-1978

Erich ZIEGLER (venia, head of the institute of organic and pharmaceutical chemistry) was head of the new founded institute of organic chemistry, which was now separated from the institute of pharmaceutical chemistry and located at Heinrichstrasse 28 in a new institute building. In 1978 Ziegler became ill and retired 1979.

The university was new organized (UOG75) and in 1976 a new faculty of natural sciences was founded. All chemistry institutes became members of this faculty. In Ziegler´s era the institute of organic chemistry was splitted in divisions: applied organic chemistry (head: Hans Junek), organic synthesis (head: Thomas Kappe), organic analytics (Helga Wittmann), spectroscopy (head: Heinz Sterk), gas chromatography (head: Heinrich Binder) and isotope techniques (head: Gert Kollenz).

In this era the following chemists got the venia legendi:

Heinz STERK (born 1941 in Graz), later head of this institute got his doctoral degree in 1965 as student of Zigeuner. In 1969 he obtained the venia legendi for theoretical organic chemistry.

Gert KOLLENZ (born 1940 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1967 as student of Ziegler. In 1972 he obtained the venia legendi for radioisotope organic chemistry. His research fields are radio isotopic labeled compounds, ring contraction reactions and host-guest chemistry.

Heinrich BINDER (born 1938 in Judenburg, +1986) got his doctoral degree in 1965 as student of Petuely (at the institute for food investigation). In 1973 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research fields were gaschromatographic investigations for reaction mechanisms and analytical and environmental purposes.


Lecture room and labs in this era
pic. of Ziegler
Erich Ziegler
pic. of Kollenz
Gert Kollenz
pic. of Binder
Heinrich Binder
1978-1997

In this era Hans JUNEK was temporary head of the institute from 1978-1981 and then head of the institute until 1997. (data and venia) His early research (together with Ziegler) dealt with the chemistry of 4-hydroxycoumarin, later the fields of interest were the cyanocarbon chemistry, dyes, peptides and ozonolysis.

In 1981 the 8th international congress of heterocyclic chemistry took place in Graz (with about 1000 participants), organized by Kappe and Junek (link to pictures: see right row).

After Binder`s sudden death the division of gas-chromatography was renamed into polymer chemistry with Berd Trathnigg as head. After Wittmanns retirement Otto Wolfbeis and later Georg Uray became heads of the division of organic analytics. Martin Mittelbach was appointed as head of the workgroup of bioresources.

In this era many chemists got the venia legendi:

Otto WOLFBEIS (born 1947 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1972 as student of Junek. In 1978 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research is mainly based on fluorescence spectroscopic properties of organic compounds (optical sensors). In 1996 he became head of the institute of analytical chemistry, chemo- and biosensoric at the university of Regensburg, Germany.

Peter TRITTHART (born in Graz) got the venia legendi in 1985 for analytical organic chemistry. He has now a position at the AVL company in Graz.

Georg URAY (born 1946 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1972 as student of Sterk. In 1982 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research interests are the chemistry of thiamine and chiral and fluorescent compounds.

Bernd TRATHNIGG (born 1947 in Graz) got his doctoral degree (sub auspiciis praesidentis) in 1974 as student of Junek. In 1983 he obtained the venia for organic chemistry. His research interests are polymer chemistry and HPLC.

Walter FABIAN (born 1950 in Mauerkirchen, Upper Austria) got his doctoral degree (sub auspiciis praesidentis) in 1977 as student of Sterk. In 1984 he obtained the venia for theoretical organic chemistry . His research interest is theoretical organic chemistry e.g molecular modelling.

Wolfgang STADLBAUER (born 1948 in Mehrnbach, Upper Austria) got his doctoral degree in 1975 as student of Thomas Kappe. In 1988 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research interests are organic synthesis such as ring closure and substitution reactions of heterocycles.

Hans-Werner SCHMIDT (born 1947 in Großgmain, Salzburg county) got his doctoral degree in 1976 as student of Junek. In 1990 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research interest is the synthesis of herbicidal lead structure.

Martin MITTELBACH (born 1953 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1978 as student of Junek. In 1991 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research interests are the investigation of ozonolysis products and development of bioresources.


Photos of the 8th Int. Congress of Heterocycl Chemistry (1981)
pic. of Junek
Hans Junek
pic. of Wolfbeis
Otto S. Wolfbeis
pic. of Tritthart
Peter Tritthart
pic. of Uray
Georg Uray
pic. of Trathnigg
Bernd Trathnigg
pic. of Fabian
Walter Fabian
pic. of Stadlbauer
Wolfgang Stadlbauer
pic. of Schmidt
Hanswerner Schmidt
pic. of Mittelbach
Martin Mittelbach
1997-1999

Heinz STERK (data and venia) was elected head of the institute in this era. His research fields are nmr spectroscopic investigations of organic and bioorganic molecules and 2D-nmr spectroscopy.

Kurt FABER (born 1953 in Klagenfurt) got his doctoral degree in 1981 as student of Kappe. In 1990 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry at the University of Technology of Graz, and was appointed as ordinary professor of organic chemistry in 1998. His research field is biocatalysis.

C. Oliver KAPPE (born 1965 in Graz) got his doctoral degree in 1992 as student of Kollenz and Wentrup. In 1998 he obtained the venia legendi for organic chemistry. His research fields are dihydropyrimidine chemistry and microwave reactions.

In this era a strong new branch - bioorganic chemistry - was established at the institute, coming from Fabers biocatalysis, Mittelbachs research on bioresources and Sterks protein nmr studies.

In december 1999, organic chemistry joined together with the institutes of analytical, inorganic, physical and theoretical chemistry to a large "institute of chemistry" with new administration.


Lecture room and labs in this era
pic. of Sterk
Heinz Sterk
pic. of Faber
Kurt Faber
pic. of C.O.Kappe
C.Oliver Kappe